Sunday 10 November 2013

Showcase Sunday #36 - The World Fantasy Con Edition


Inspired by Celine from Nyx Book Reviews, I've decided to combine several weekly wrap-up memes into one post. Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Stacking the Shelves is hosted at Tynga's Reviews, and Sunday Post is hosted at Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. Letterbox Love is a special British book-haul meme hosted by Lindsey at Narratively Speaking.




WORLD FANTASY CON

Last weekend I went to World Fantasy Con in Brighton. It was a lot of fun, and great to meet new people as well as see old friends again, including meeting Ellie from Curiosity Killed the Bookworm! :-) I went to panels and readings, chatted in the bar, braved the wind tunnel that was Brighton sea-front, went to a few publisher parties and book launches, and picked up far far too many books.

Me as a pirate (right) and steampunk 20s Ruth (left) on Halloween at WFC
 
Highlights of World Fantasy Con - Some brilliant advice panels, Scott Lynch, Mary Robinette Kowal's reading (and puppet show!), Tales of Eve launch, Terry Pratchett! (another Tiffany Aching book in the works... so excited!), Titan's fun fair party, and all the wonderful people I met and chatted to).

Mary Robinette Kowal putting on a puppet show for us
Panel - Trudi Canavan, Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie, Tad Williams, Adrian Stone, Stan Nicholls

 At the end of the event we had to travel home late on Sunday, and of course the first train was delayed and we missed the connecting train. We trudged onto a later train, sat down next to a guy who looked like a magician, who turned out to actually be a magician, who then gave us a free magic show for an hour on the train home! Bizarre but amazing end to a fantastic weekend! :-)

Read a longer post about my experience of World Fantasy Con here.


New Goodies:

So... the books. Yes, there are a lot, but in my defence a lot of these were free. You just don't say no to free books, do you? Besides, I'm hoping that Ellie's Sunday post will vastly eclipse mine, and therefore make me look restrained in comparison. :-)

Close ups of covers below

Two fantasy art books - Keith Parkinson and Didier Graffet
WFC book (contains info about special guests, some stories, and interesting bits and bobs)
Giant Thief, by David Tallerman
Passages: A Sampler of French Fantasy from Bragelonne
The Garden of Stones, by Mark T. Barnes
The Forbidden Library, by Django Wexler
Farlander, by Col Buchanan
The Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen
The Emperor's Blades, by Brian Staveley
God's War, by Kameron Hurley
Sixty One Nails, by Mike Shevdon
The Gospel of Loki, by Joanne M. Harris
The Demon's Lexicon, by Sarah Rees Brennan
Banished, by Liz de Jager (Squee! Can't wait to read this one!)
Tales of Eve, edited by Mhairi Simpson
The Black Heart, by Patrick O'Leary
The Apology Chapbook, by China Mieville (this was to apologise
for not being able to come to WFC, as he was supposed to be the
Master of Ceremonies at the event. The chapbook contains some of
his unpublished short stories)
An Xmen mug (won at the Titan fun fair party!)
A TOR shot glass (from the TOR party)
Titan rock.
A Gollancz Geeks pen.


The Testimony, by James Smythe (ebook)


Shadowplay, by Laura Lam (for review) (more squees!)


 Phew, that's all of them... I think. I've probably forgotten some. xD  Hope you've had a great week too!




21 comments:

  1. Hahah. I am here to serve ;) and OMG you got Gospel of Loki! I am so jealous. Apparently Gav got told off for rummaging through the Gollancz bag. I'm happy with Beauty but knowing that was in some of them *grabby hands*. Hopefully I can wait until it's actually out.

    Also YAY for The Testimony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, one of my friends got told off for rummaging too! Everyone must have been doing it! I was pretty pleased with Gospel of Loki, I have to say. To be fair, Beauty does look really good too. Have you read Poison and Charm? I've read Poison and that was great. :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks! :-) I'm still a bit amazed by it.

      Delete
  3. Wow...what a huge haul! And looks like you had a great time at World Fantasy Con. Great week for sure.

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, definitely worth going to! I think if I had to choose I would say I prefer the smaller cons, but it was fantastic getting to go to the world one, and they all have such different vibes and are good in different ways. :-)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had so much fun. Love the costumes in the first pic! And that puppet show reminds me of a scene from the new karate kids lol.
    -Melissa @ Harley Bear Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) The puppet show was so good. Amazing what someone can do with a few bits of cardboard!

      Delete
  5. I wasn't aware that there was a World Fantasy Con. I guess there are a lot of cons going on right now. Looks like you had a blast. You got some really interesting books as 2/3 of your haul is new to me. Great week.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a lot of cons, but this was the first time since, er, I think the 80s(?) that the World Fantasy Con has been in the UK. Was fun! :-D

      Delete
    2. It's a good couple of years for the UK. First the World Fantasy Convention this year and then next year the World Science Fiction Convention in London.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! That's a lot of great looking books! Haha, I love your costumes! I hope you had fun :)
    Banished! I can't wait to see what you think of that one! The Forbidden Library sounds amazing and that cover is beautiful <3
    Great haul, Vicky! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited about Banished! :-D Hehe thanks, it's definitely the best haul I've had from a con. The Forbidden Library does look good doesn't it? I also love the cover for The Queen of the Tearling, which has what looks like a bear trap sat on a cushion in place of a crown. Very clever image. :-)

      Delete
  7. The train ride sounds like fun, despite the deals and holy book hauls my friend..enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! So strange too. Hehe thanks, I can't wait to dive in! :-)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an amazing time! I would love to be able to go to an event like that. Plus free books? Yeah, who can turn that down? I went to a blogger meetup last weekend and came home with a TON of new books (all free) so it looks like we're both very lucky girls! ;-)

    ~Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer
    My Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun you got to meet a fellow book blogger! Love both your blogs. I went to San Diego comic con in 2012 and thought I would get a bunch of books but they didn't have any there to give out. You had to buy them there. oh well it was still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a lot of books! I'm glad you had a good time.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, some ridiculously amazing free books! I really wish I could have got to World Fanatasy Con! I wouldn't have been able to say no to free books either. Hope you enjoy all your reads. My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, that IS an enormous pile! But I'm so glad you guys had such a good time (and glad to hear you and Ellie got to meet up) :) Hope you enjoy the books as well! x

    ReplyDelete