Tuesday 29 October 2013

Top Ten Halloween Reads


I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) in ages, and this week's theme is a really fun one, so here goes!

Top Ten Books to Read During Halloween



Well, for me, Halloween isn't necessarily about horror. Or rather, it's not just about the scares. It's also fun, colourful, a litte cheesy, a little goofy, funny, and a bit wicked. For me, it's about the supernatural more than serial killer horror; it's about wonder and magic, about the lines between worlds becoming thinner for one night. So with that in mind, here are my top ten Halloween reads...

1) The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. This book just sums up Halloween for me. It's the perfect read for this time of year!


2) Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice. The ultimate gothic vampire book. A must-read for vampire fans. The whole series is good, so if you like his one, carry on to later books too!


3) The Bartimaeus Series, beginning with The Amulet of Samarkand, by Jonathan Stroud. An alternate London run by warlocks, a charismatic demon, and lots of fun. This is a fantastic series and highly recommended.


4) The Whitby Witches, by Robin Jarvis. This is a must for a Halloween read. Witches, sea-people, weird goings on as the mist rolls into Whitby. Atmospheric and entertaining!


5) Strangewood, by Christopher Golden. A very creepy and definitely adult read. This fits in with Halloween's 'line between worlds' idea in an unexpected way. This is a book that's stayed with me a long long time after reading it.


6) Carpe Jugulum, by Terry Pratchett. This is a Discworld book, but you don't need to have read others in the series to enjoy it. Vampires and witches and very funny!


7) Poison, by Chris Wooding. Oh god the spiders... and they're far from being the creepiest part. This is a brilliantly written book that offers a fun, scary tale, with a fantastic ending.


8) The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende. It's funny how many of these books have a similar idea running through them, actually. Perhaps books that make me question the reality of my own existence are oddly the scariest kind for me? Anyway, this has plenty of weird beasties in it too. A classic, and always fun.


9) The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente. This is another book like The Graveyard Book that just seems perfectly suited to Halloween. A slightly sinister but charming view of fairyland, which involves a trip to a land of always-Autumn.


10) Hollow Pike, by James Dawson. Witches, strange dreams, and a killer in a small Yorkshire town.This is a fun, creepy YA story that captures something of the feeling of old R. L. Stine books.


What are your Halloween reads? This year I'll be at World Fantasy Con, so I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing on the night. Over the Halloween period I think I might read Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, which looks fantastic, and of course I'll be sticking on all the Buffy Halloween episodes. :-)




14 comments:

  1. Gawd, it's been YEARS since I read any Anne Rice. I don't even know if I have Interview with the Vampire any more! If I haven't, I really do need to get hold of a copy again. I never got beyond Queen of the Damned, despite really like the sound of some of the later installments in the series. Maybe next Halloween I'll invest in a little Louis 'n' Lestat time again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been ages since I read Anne Rice too. I really need to give her witches books a try. Hehe, Louis 'n' Lestat time is always fun. :-)

      Delete
  2. I have Hollow Pike to read soon. Really excited about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollow Pike looks really interesting, I'll have to scope it out. I also really need to get to reading a Neil Gaiman book I have NEVER read one, it's ridiculous!

    Emily @ Falling For YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know what you mean, I've never read Stephen King, and I'm still not sure how that's possible. Need to get round to the Dark Tower books one of these days. The Graveyard Book is as good a place as any to start with Gaiman, it's a great read! :-)

      Delete
  4. The Amulet of Samarkland sounds like it could be a really interesting read, I will have to check it out. You picked some really cool books to read for Halloween, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki :-) The Amulet of Samarkand and the Bartimaeus series are some of my favourite YA. Defo worth a read!

      Delete
  5. Good list - I'd forgotten how much I liked the Bartimaeus series - I should re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO tempted to re-read Bartimaeus books, great to see them on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see so much Bartimaeus love in the comments! :-)

      Delete
  7. I've read 1 & 2 and seen the movie for 8. I have one of the Stroud books but haven't read it yet. Need to check the others out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you should definitely read the Stroud one! They should be read in order though, so if the one you have isn't the first in the series, then keep a look out for that first. :-) I love the Neverending Story movie. Need to watch that again.

      Delete