Wednesday 23 October 2013

Showcase Birthday!


I've been really busy recently and haven't managed to get a Showcase Sunday up for a while. It was my birthday on Monday, so I thought I'd throw up a post today to share new goodies and latest posts.

What I've Been Up To:

Well, as I said, it was my birthday on Monday. I had a lovely day - my parents came to visit and we went shopping, then later I went out for dinner with my husband, played a board game, and watched a movie. :-) I also had a trip to Arnold library, which I've heard is very good. It's a fantastic library! Wish it was my local library, and I'll definitely have to visit again.

I've also been helping to put together my husband's visa application to stay in the UK, which has been a long and complicated process. That's been sent off now, so finally I can relax a little bit and get back to some reading and reviewing!

It's been very rainy here, though as I look outside right now it's very sunny with an almost black sky! Thunderstorm on its way? I've been enjoying all the autumn colours and bought a pumpkin, and I'm planning my Halloween costume. I'm thinking pirate. ;-)


New Posts:

Book Review - Shadows Over Innsmouth, edited by Stephen Jones

Science Fiction and Fantasy Podcasts (Fantasy Faction)


New Goodies:

Some birthday presents, some library books, some ebooks, some review books, and other bits and bobs! There are a lot here, but this is a few weeks' worth :-)


Dodger, by Terry Pratchett (birthday present)
Throne of the Crescent Moon, by Saladin Ahmed
Redshirts, by John Scalzi
Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis
The Apprentice Journals, by J. Michael Shell


Birthday presents! An owl cushion, fox ear muffs,
and Nightmare Before Christmas mugs for John and me. :-)


Warm Bodies (DVD)
Star Trek Cross-stitch, by John Lohman


Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie (I've heard so much about this one,
and it's the Fantasy Faction November read)


Assembly Code, by Colin F. Barnes (review copy)


The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton (review audiobook)


The Deaths of Tao, by Wesley Chu (review book)


Pandemonium: Ash, edited by Jared Shurin





16 comments:

  1. Happy Showcase birthday! It was mine last Sunday so we're nearly birthday twins :) You got some AMAZING books and presents too - I especially love the Jack and Sally mugs!

    Have a great week!

    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan, the mugs are great aren't they? :-) Glad we both had good birthdays!

      Delete
  2. I love your Nightmare Before Christmas mugs! Also Happy Birthday! Looks like you got tons of fun goodies this week! Enjoy!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! What great presents! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's some good stuff there isn't there? :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely new books, Vicky! They are all new to me, except of course for Terry Pratchett. Enjoy them all!

    My Sunday Post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/10/sundays-weekly-book-recap-41.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I'm really looking forward to reading the Discworld one. :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday!! Enjoy all your new goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Good to hear that you had a great day! And that you've finished the visa application - it sounded like you were drowning in paperwork at one point! It looks like you've had some fab presents and got some great books - I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! It was certainly a lot of paperwork! It's nice to have some more time for blogging and reading again now. :-)

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you have a good birthday! hope you enjoy the new books. I just adore The Nightmare Before Christmas cups. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you had a great birthday. Those fox earmuffs are so adorable! I love autumn, it's been getting a bit colder here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) The ear muffs are so fluffy and warm, and they have a pad inside that you can warm up so that they're heated ear muffs too! Autumn is definitely the best season.

      Delete