Saturday 12 January 2013

Bout of Books - Saturday's Mini-Challenges


Challenge time again! I didn't have time to do yesterday's challenge, which is a shame as it looked like a lot of fun, so I'm determined to do both challenges today!


First up, the Book Crack Challenge, hosted at Bookgoonie. What booky things can we just not resist? Well, for me it's cheap books, or more specifically those 1p used (but 'very-good' or 'like new' condition) books on the Amazon marketplace. If it's a book I've heard of or am interested in reading, or is written by an author I like, or I've read it before and wouldn't mind owning a copy, or it has a pretty cover... how can I say no? It's 1p! Of course, by the time you add post and package costs it's considerably more, but when you see that 0.01 price, it takes Herculean willpower not to click. I'd also add to this books in charity shops, library sales, and ebook special offers. Particularly charity shops, because not only are you getting a book, you don't have to feel guilty about spending the money!

The second challenge for the day is The Bookish Dress Up Challenge hosted at Nyx Book Reviews. The idea is to dress up a character from a book, either to give them a makeover, dress them in clothes that you think suit their character better, make them wear something ridiculous, etc.

Okay, so here's what sprung to mind first:


 *gigglesnort*

I've decided to pick Tiffany Aching from Terry Pratchett's Discworld to dress up. She's a great character - very practical, stoic and caring, and rarely thinking about herself. Despite her need for practical clothes and her tendency to wear hand-me-down things, you can tell that she'd really like something pretty now and again. She's a witch but doesn't wear black yet, as she's decided that she "will wear midnight" only when she feels ready. At the end of the last book in the series 'I Shall Wear Midnight', she finally gets a dress that's not only black, but also new and beautiful.

I think Tiffany deserves some more indulgent outfits. This was tricky, as the clothes need to suggest 'witch', the dress should be black now that she's decided to embrace midnight, the outfit should be pretty but also practical, and she should really be able to ride a broom in it. Here's what I came up with:

You'd have to take the puffy sleeves off the second one though - they might get in the way a bit!

Add a coat or cloak for cold weather, some black leggings, and big wooly socks for that cold air up on the broomstick. Tiffany likes big, practical boots, but there's no reason they shouldn't be a little eye-catching too, is there? And, okay, I couldn't resist the stripey tights. All witches should have a pair!



8 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, Edward in that cape would be priceless.

    Great outfit ideas for Tiffany! I haven't read her books yet, but I love the garments you picked. Especially that third dress is absolutely gorgeous. And yay for striped tights, I own a black and red pair, I wear them every Halloween (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Edward in the cape made me ROFL!

    Love your bookish dress up. Brilliant to the T.

    Also, yeah well, we all have some book cracks, don't we? And they are mostly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How dashing Edward would look in that outfit, ahaha xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe, thanks guys! :-)

    Yes, I reckon we probably all have the 'bargain books' weakness! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your idea for Tiffany^^ as for edward^^ you couldn't have a better pick^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your answers! I'm a total sucker for a charity shop too - I mean, the books are cheap, the money goes to a great cause, AND you've had all the fun of the find as well. It's just so SATISFYING.

    It would be kinda fun to have Edward dress up as a 'traditional' vampire for one of Alice's Halloween parties! Though I reckon he'd be too square to actually do it. It's been a long time since I read any of the Discworld books (something I intend to remedy very soon), but those dresses are SO PRETTY! I'd definitely wear that last one! :)

    Have a good day 7 - last day!
    Ellie @ Musings of a Bookshop Girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the charity shops! When I lived in Glasgow I'd spend my weekends in them and sorting through books, but now that I'm back in the US we only have 2 majors in my city and the selections aren't quite exciting.

    hahaha on dressing up Edward!

    ReplyDelete